Client and Business Relations
Building Credible relationships in the world of business is always ideal and the best way to ensure you get a referral for future work.
However, do we ever discuss problematic clients, probing clients who constantly look for flaws in their own project perhaps due to not wanting to pay full agreed amounts or their personalities are wired in that sense. As a business you will alway meet such clients and as such how do you as a business protect yourself and in turn also ensure their interest is safe guarded:
1. Register your business with regulation boards as they will assist in clarifying your rights as a builder and also will safeguard clients needs.
2. Have clearly defined Service Level Agreements with scope of work clearly defined as well material grade and type.
3. As an added measure we get a client to sign to any type of finishes they want.
4. Provide Samples for clients to see and agree on scope and finishes to be used.
5. Have indemnity insurance if you also provide professional services and also take up all risk insurances as when dealing with renovations you might just find more problems that cannot be identified immediately. sites older than 20 years tend to have more issues and if possible to suggest rebuilding instead of repairing i would advise that for the older buildings due to the lifespan of the older material being compromised.
6. Variation orders are acceptable as such any work out of the agreed scope, should be noted and billed accordingly.
7. Keep an instruction book to avoid any new instructions given to your team without your knowledge of it, and train you team to adhere to such principles to ensure the scope is not altered without proof.
8. Business can be challenging, things will go bad, but keep your head up and enjoy what you do, beauty of building is that as you do it... your character is built too.
Best of Luck.