Blocked drains are the stuff that the nightmares of homeowners are made of. If you are a homeowner and you do not agree, you probably have never had to deal with such a scenario and do not know the potential risks they pose. You are lucky and, hopefully, you will never have to deal with the repercussions of blocked drains. These are some of the dangers of unattended blocked drains:
- Inability to use your plumbing. If water is not draining properly, you cannot use that outlet, it is that simple. And let’s face it, there are few things as scary as a toilet that does not want to flush.
- Bad smells. A steady flow of water removes bad smells, whereas stagnant water and the collection of materials that decompose over time create bad odours that eventually permeates your house.
- Broken or defective sewer pipes. Blocked drains can also be the result of broken sewer pipes
- Structural damage. Leaking water from blocked drains or a broken sewer pipe can compromise the structural integrity of your house over time.
- Water stains. Similarly, this leaking water can lead to permanent staining, discolouration, or warping of walls, floorboards, and even furniture.
- Pest infestations. Stagnant water, as is usually found in blocked drains, attracts insects and is a breeding ground for some, such as mosquitoes. Once an infestation occurs, it is likely to attract more insects and other creatures that feed on them.
- Diseases and health issues. Aside from the germs carried by insects and the like, stagnant water is also a breeding ground for bacteria and the dampness can lead to mould. All of these pose potential risks to your health.
- Costly repair work. As is evident from the list above, the longer you wait to attend to your blocked drains, the more severe the damage could be. This can turn a simple drain-cleaning exercise into a costly renovation job.
Luckily, blocked drains can easily be fixed if picked up early enough. Here are some signs to keep an eye out for:
- Slow or no drainage. This is the most obvious sign. Water is not draining, or it is draining at a noticeably slower pace than usual.
- Higher-than-normal water level in your toilet. If the water rises higher than usual when you flush your toilet, it could be an indication of an obstruction in the drainage pipe.
- Strange smells. Have you noticed any unpleasant odours coming from your drain? Organic material caught in the blockage tends to emit bad smells as it decomposes.
- Gurgling sounds. This is caused by air trapped in the pipe, which escapes when additional water enters the pipe.
What to Do If You Suspect A Problem with Your Pipes:
If you suspect that there might be a blockage in your drainage system, contact Alpha Plumbing. We have a team of expert drain cleaners standing by to see to your blocked drains using state-of-the-art electronic rotary drain-cleaning equipment or the more powerful jet blasting option, as an alternative. This allows them to clear obstructions as well as remove waste build-up in all pipes. What’s more, we offer a 30-day unconditional guarantee that your drains won’t block up again and if the cause of blockage was roots, a 3-month guarantee that your drain won’t block up again as a result of root penetration